This battery replaces the unheated BB10012: It is identical in all respects, and by simply not connecting the heating wire it will behave just like an unheated BB10012. Also see our Finding Happiness with Lithium-Ion article, explaining the care and feeding of these batteries.
Just 1/3 the weight of lead-acid, zero maintenance, and thousands more cycles vs. lead-acid. Battle Born Batteries offer an economic alternative when space and weight matter, such as for boat trolling motors and RV applications.
Battle Born lithium-ion batteries are true deep-cycle batteries, they can repeatedly be discharged a full 100% without damage. The battery has a build-in battery management system (BMS). The BMS allows them to be charged with regular solar PV charge controllers, with the same settings as for any other sealed battery (such as AGM batteries). The BMS also takes care of protecting the batteries from over- and under-charge, low Voltage disconnect, over-current, and automatic balancing of the cells.
The heated Battle Born BB10012H has a build-in heater that keeps the battery warm no matter what the weather does. The Heat Battery Kit comes with an enable switch and necessary wires so that you can enable and disable your heated battery from anywhere in your system. Included is the Heat Battery Jumper Wire which allows you to directly enable the heated element from your battery if you do not wish to use the Heat Battery Kit.
Charge settings for Battle Born batteries:
- Bulk/absorb = 14.2 – 14.6 Volt, with 14.4 Volt ideal
- Absorb time = about two hours, or until the current drops to 5A or less.
- Float = not needed, set to 13.6 Volt or less
- No equalize, or set to 14.4 Volt if it can’t be disabled
- No temperature compensation, set to 0
- Charge rate of 50 – 60A or less is preferred for longevity, though up to 100A is possible
The maximum discharge rate is 100 Amp continuous, 200 Amp for 30 seconds, and about 500 Amp for 1/2 second for cranking and such.
Battle Born batteries can be connected in series and parallel to increase the bank Voltage and Ah rating. For example, two BB10012 batteries in series will make a 24 Volt / 100 Ah battery bank. Two in series and two in parallel will make for 24 Volt / 200 Ah etc. Any number of batteries can be connected in series/parallel, as long as overall battery bank Voltage is 48V or less (so no more than 4 in series). Parallel strings of batteries will increase the charge and discharge rates (i.e. 200A for two parallel strings etc.). Ask us if you have any questions about properly sizing a battery bank.
Battle Born batteries use LiFePO4 chemistry (Lithium-Iron-Phosphate). This is very stable and is not sensitive to spontaneous combustion, in comparison to laptop and cell-phone lithium-ion batteries (which use Lithium-Cobalt-Phosphate chemistry). The cells have build-in protection for over-pressure, over-temperature, contain a fire-retardant in the electrolyte and casing, and have a stainless steel jacket. These are very safe batteries!
Because lithium-ion batteries can be discharged to 100% DOD, and this can be done for more cycles, a smaller battery bank can suffice vs. lead-acid. Since there is no off-gassing these batteries can be mounted indoors.
- Build-in heater!
- Zero maintenance!
- No memory effect
- Compatible with standard charge controllers
- 12 Volt, 100 Amp hour @ 20 hr discharge rate
- Only 1/3 weight of lead-acid & small footprint!
- Dimensions very close to group 31 battery size
- Very low self-discharge rate, holds charge up to 1 year
- Can be mounted in any orientation, zero off-gassing, no dangerous acid
- Active cell management through included battery management system (BMS)
- Long lifespan, true deep-cycle: 3000 cycles at 100% DOD, more if discharged less
- 8 years full warranty, plus 2 years pro-rated, total 10 years warranty